TC V7x vs JJS 16610LN Review

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.
OP
JackJ1980

JackJ1980

Content Contributor
Horologist
Dec 22, 2017
I can get into more side by side pics but I don’t want this to be too long and adding the pics is taking awhile on mobile :)

SEL: both have good right sels. The TC wins by a hair in tight factor but also was designed for the bracelet but it is still a winner. The SEL fit in the JJS is the second best I’ve seen. It’s noticeably better than a JF or a BP. The curvature of the sel away from the lugs is a little too sharp and early on the TC imo. The JJS gets this better.
Winner: TIE
TC wins fitment and JJS wins curvature

Dial:
Both are good dials and both look great. The magnification on the JJS needs to be modified a little but it’s not easy to compare here as the TC has a gen crystal and the JJS does not. Also to note, the TC has a gen insert and crown. The JJS also comes stock with a gen Rolex datewheel. So hard to compare there. The JJS clearly wins the dw. The dial I would say looks a little more gen to me on the JJS than the KH TC dial. Both are so good it’s hardly relevant. Honestly. Same goes for hands. I would say the dw cutout fornthe TC is more rectangular and gen like than the JJS’s.
Winner is TIE. TC has overall better dial because of dw cutout but JJS comes with gen dw which I feel offsets that :) hands I feel are too close to call for me.

Bracelet:
Bracelet both are excellent. Both look quite good and feel good on the wrist. The JJS surprisingly wins this one not only on the clasp I think looking a little more genlike but also because the clasp closing and opening is very solid and more genlike. There was clearly work done with the clasp.
Winner: JJS

Movement:
I’d say the TC has the better workhorse with the A2824-2. It’ll keep on ticking and will be easy to repair anywhere. The JJS has a newly serviced SH3135 they do when they add the gen dw. It winds smoother than the 2824-2 but that is a given. Reliability I’ve found to be spotty in the sh3135. On the plus side, it will be infinitely easier to franken a JJS with a sh3135 than a TC V7x (V6 is a little easier but still requires movement swap and some work). So I’d keep that in mind when deciding.
Winner: JJS
This is because I’m a franken guy though. If you want to buy it and never think of it again, I’d say TC is winner there.

Overall:
If you are looking for the best out of the box, no changes will ever be made, and you don’t want to do anything else, the TC is the winner. It looks as good or close enough to the JJS in the categories it lost in that it should be your choice.
For the franken person and people who like to swap around bracelets and dial and parts, the JJS is the clear winner. It comes with a sh3135 for putting in gen parts, a gen dw already installed, lugs that can accept a gen bracelet, etc. the TC can’t really take a sh3135 without redoing the inside of the case. The bezel of the JJS is clearly better and much more gen like also. Winner for more advanced buyer: JJS

I hope this helps everyone and gave everyone a pretty unbiased and fair review. JJS is determining their marketing strategy so I don’t have any answers for you about them at this time. I just got to buy the first. Also kind of a cool mention, the first ten cases were made with a Z serial which some should know pays homage to some people’s involvement with JJS and their history.

Last edited:
OP
JackJ1980

JackJ1980

Content Contributor
Horologist
Dec 22, 2017
After all that forgot bezel:
The TC bezel I thought was great until this comparison. A gen 16610 bezel has nice scallops with vertical machining inside the scallops. The TC has horizontal scallops and the famous pyramid look of most reps from certain angles. The JJS has much more gen like scallops in terms of size and angle and also has vertical brush marks. Also adding some macro pics.
Pics:

3A3F5208-818D-4519-8F1E-2D3F846E2E4D.jpeg5516B602-55A0-4AE3-9411-75E9D4EB4977.jpeg93948235-8183-40E4-B19E-5B590BEB2784.jpeg24E46776-A6B4-477F-8F87-3742878B700A.jpeg1C771BF6-A25F-479D-BCC3-119FAA039986.jpeg906A2176-8D45-4E58-A7CA-8AB9778CFD7A.jpeg

Mike116

Jan 30, 2018
NZ
Thanks jack. Looking forward to reading more about this. I looked over a mates older gen recently and that had been polished a few times and the crown guards were quit pointy and rounded as a result of that polishing. Looking at gens online there seems to be a fair bit of variance around the CGs

CarpetRyd

Content Contributor
Feb 24, 2018
I'd love a JJS case set - i'm rolling all gen except 3135 and JF caseset... I'd upgrade to gen 3135 if this case set is on point (and they sell it)!

either way - 2018 - jjs definitely topped the JF of 2017...

PlanetZoom

Active Enthusiast
Ambassador
Jan 20, 2018
CONUS
Great review. Very informative and helpful. I really like how you mentioned differences that are useful to know for those who want to franken and for those who aren't quite there yet.

ginopino

Jan 25, 2018
Thanks @JackJ1980 a very complete comparison.

Three questions:
What about the crystal, with or without LEC?
When this will be available and where?
An LV version is expected?

dovla

Content Contributor
Jan 14, 2018
Nice review. I still think TC has the edge but than again TC has been around for donkey years, JJS is new guy for now. But still based on the decent JF case set.

Deciding factor will be the price of JJS, as that will determine the market for it.

ginopino

Jan 25, 2018
Nice review. I still think TC has the edge but than again TC has been around for donkey years, JJS is new guy for now. But still based on the decent JF case set.

Deciding factor will be the price of JJS, as that will determine the market for it.
Are you saying that this JJS is a "modded" JF?
I'm asking because I have no clear idea about this JJS (maker? Single boy? modder?) and would like to know more :)

A presentation of "JJS" would be appreciated from users knows best :) @JackJ1980 can you provide more info please? :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott

Ssouthall6

Jan 26, 2018
Yeah this is all news to me, good news though! Would love to know more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbfks

Feb 25, 2018
Excellent review.

I'm asking because I have no clear idea about this JJS (maker? Single boy? modder?) and would like to know more :)

A presentation of "JJS" would be appreciated from users knows best :) @JackJ1980 can you provide more info please? :)
I too would like to know more about JJS.

Hellraiser

Jan 24, 2018
Waaaaay stubby means like non existent I assume. I’m seeing cgs. Do you mean it’s a mm shorter? .5mm? Civil disagreements are great but no arrogance here please. I’m happy to say in my review I’ll also being saying the cgs are too short by about a mm to .5mm. But in a small thing like a cg it is noticeable. Especially with a crown as a reference for height. I also think it is slightly too narrow in the cgs. However those comments will be made as part of comparison and with justifications. As a noobie please (or someone using a new username) explain positions. It comes off as arrogance otherwise and this place was supposed to be trying to keep that stuff out. I even edited my post to be more civil.
Please define???
I mean that the crown guards are stubby, in that they resemble those of a watch that has had the case refinished/polished several times. If a watch gets serviced every 5 years by a RSS, as Rolex recommend, then the case is systematically re-polished/refinished as needed, in order to put it back to it's original condition in terms of finish.

The crown guards on an original condition 16610 come approximately 2/3 the way up the sides of the knurled part of the crown. A 703 crown is 3.8 mm wide, the knurled part 3.25 mm, therefore the crown guards should be approximately 2.1 mm long.
The TC crown guards are closer to an original condition case than the JJS case, where the crown guards come approximately 50 % of the way up the knurled part of the crown, making them about 1.6 mm long.

OP
JackJ1980

JackJ1980

Content Contributor
Horologist
Dec 22, 2017
Thanks @JackJ1980 a very complete comparison.

Three questions:
What about the crystal, with or without LEC?
When this will be available and where?
An LV version is expected?
Hi Gino. There is LEC, I know they’ve made more already they need to go public besides word of mouth right now so I don’t know their timing, and there will be an LV version.

Reactions: ginopino
OP
JackJ1980

JackJ1980

Content Contributor
Horologist
Dec 22, 2017

The JJS is done by a single person doing case reshaping and brushing very extensively and the bracelet brushing and sel reshaping. Another guy does the servicing and dw install. It is based off a JF and actually after this review he showed me something that will actually hopefully fix the cg length issue (sadly for those after me :) ). The first ten JF case are special made Z serials though

Ssouthall6

Jan 26, 2018
Amazing. I'm in for one. This actually vindicates my decision not to pay out for another datewheel and another watch that sits in Italy for months!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: