TC V7x vs JJS 16610LN Review

• Please add our email support@horologyboard.com and/or domain horologyboard.com into your whitelist to make sure emails are not filtered or blocked. If you have registered but have not received your activation email, please check you spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find your email to activate your account, please Contact Us. Thank you.

Ssouthall6

Jan 26, 2018
The ARF crown guards are kinda stubby but not a deal breaker IMV. In fact, ARF making them look faux-over-polished probs helps it look more period correct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

watcher

Content Contributor
Feb 28, 2018
They do. Watch looks good but they have shaved the cg’s too much and ruined it. The standard Jf cg’s were fine as they were!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I can say with reasonable certainty that the stock JF CGs were not touched ;)
I’ve had both Ln and Lv Jf models and neither had poor guards like this. Either they have been touched or Jf have altered the cases then.

OP
JackJ1980

JackJ1980

Content Contributor
Horologist
Dec 22, 2017
JJS has a section on this forum in SV area.

OP
JackJ1980

JackJ1980

Content Contributor
Horologist
Dec 22, 2017
I’ve had both Ln and Lv Jf models and neither had poor guards like this. Either they have been touched or Jf have altered the cases then.

The cgs are 100% not shortened. @JJS can speak to it better than I

OP
JackJ1980

JackJ1980

Content Contributor
Horologist
Dec 22, 2017
Lume, does not match up with dial?... Seems more "blue white" on hands than "patinated" on dial...
I’ll take a closer look and post a lume shot. The hands are still stick JF so that would be odd

Silentflight

Mar 2, 2018
The TC hands down is better. Let's just be honest.

The biggest advantages IMO is the CG shape and size, and the hands. TC hands are perfect. Absolutely perfect.

I think the TC hands being for ETA is also an advantage. I love the strides we have made recently in the 3135 clone world, however a genuine Swiss 2824 will always be superior to a Chinese 3135, regardless of modifications and genuine parts.

I have a JF coming in soon, it's a fantastic watch. A 7/10 ootb, a small investment into some easily accessible genuine parts and it is an easy 9/10 for me.

JJS is a fantastic watch, especially in the post TC era.

Reactions: ginopino

BackwoodsJon

Trusted Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 22, 2017
in the woods
The TC hands down is better. Let's just be honest.

The biggest advantages IMO is the CG shape and size, and the hands. TC hands are perfect. Absolutely perfect.
I am not so sure I agree. I have had multiple TCs and worked on even more. Still have a TC V7X LV that is pretty frankened at this point, lol. I think the JF hands, on the LN at least, are spot on. As is the JF dial. The TC dial and hand set is good as well, so that would be a tie. The TC comes stock with an Asian 2824... The JF with an SH 3135 that takes most gen parts apart from the balance. With a service from a smith, the SH 3135 is far superior, I have seen #s coming off of these that rival a gen 3135. If the plan is to swap a swiss 2824 into a watch that already is at $750, with the movement and labor you will be close to a g already without adding any gen parts. While it will be a good rep, there are too many problems still IMO to be at that kinda investment.

The TC has a lot of advantages to be sure, especially if you are not proficient at modding or do not have a good relationship with one. The JF does take a little work to get "right". The lugs are too thick for one. To me that is the most immediate tell. Take care of that, thin them out and re-bevel the case, and you get to the CGs. They are shorter than the TC for sure, by about .2-.3mm. Not a huge amount, but noticeable. About what they would be on a 10 year old watch that has been polished a few times.

The bezel shape and grinding in the scallops is way better than TC, like night and day. The click is not quite as firm and needs a better or modded click spring to feel better. The angle on the underside of the TC bezel is too steep, causing a thinner appearance vs. gen, and has horizontal grind lines that go opposite of gen, and are too distinct vs gen. It takes much less work on a JF bezel ring, vs. a TC bezel ring, to get a gen like appearance, and the TC will always be a little thin.

SELs are pretty much a wash, I have seen good and bad on both. The major difference being that the JF is done to gen spec, TC is built to the TC case. Bracelets and clasp on both are good. I don't see a major advantage to either one.

Just my $.02, from a dude that has worked on what feels like a million of both. For an LN, I would go JF all the way. For an LV, until JF improves the dial and handset, I would still go TC, unless you want to build a franken (an expensive proposition to be sure) but if you can get a gen dial and handset, I would put it in a JF vs a TC all day.

Silentflight

Mar 2, 2018
I am not so sure I agree. I have had multiple TCs and worked on even more. Still have a TC V7X LV that is pretty frankened at this point, lol. I think the JF hands, on the LN at least, are spot on. As is the JF dial. The TC dial and hand set is good as well, so that would be a tie. The TC comes stock with an Asian 2824... The JF with an SH 3135 that takes most gen parts apart from the balance. With a service from a smith, the SH 3135 is far superior, I have seen #s coming off of these that rival a gen 3135. If the plan is to swap a swiss 2824 into a watch that already is at $750, with the movement and labor you will be close to a g already without adding any gen parts. While it will be a good rep, there are too many problems still IMO to be at that kinda investment.

The TC has a lot of advantages to be sure, especially if you are not proficient at modding or do not have a good relationship with one. The JF does take a little work to get "right". The lugs are too thick for one. To me that is the most immediate tell. Take care of that, thin them out and re-bevel the case, and you get to the CGs. They are shorter than the TC for sure, by about .2-.3mm. Not a huge amount, but noticeable. About what they would be on a 10 year old watch that has been polished a few times.

The bezel shape and grinding in the scallops is way better than TC, like night and day. The click is not quite as firm and needs a better or modded click spring to feel better. The angle on the underside of the TC bezel is too steep, causing a thinner appearance vs. gen, and has horizontal grind lines that go opposite of gen, and are too distinct vs gen. It takes much less work on a JF bezel ring, vs. a TC bezel ring, to get a gen like appearance, and the TC will always be a little thin.

SELs are pretty much a wash, I have seen good and bad on both. The major difference being that the JF is done to gen spec, TC is built to the TC case. Bracelets and clasp on both are good. I don't see a major advantage to either one.

Just my $.02, from a dude that has worked on what feels like a million of both. For an LN, I would go JF all the way. For an LV, until JF improves the dial and handset, I would still go TC, unless you want to build a franken (an expensive proposition to be sure) but if you can get a gen dial and handset, I would put it in a JF vs a TC all day.

Very fair assessment. I can't s say I don't disagree fully with anything. I can't say I fully agree with the CG issue.

I too have worked on my fair share of TC's and genuine 16610's.

I've never seen a 16610 with as nubby CGs.

IMG_3222.JPG

Here is about a 20 year old 16613. It's been serviced and polished numerous times.

I may be a little hasty to disregards the sh movement. Until I'm more familiar with longevity I'll reserve my opinion.